Friday, November 8, 2013

The Golden Rule - Not Quite Right

I was talking to my lovely wife Barbara about what most people believe about religion, and she said probably just the Golden Rule. The Golden Rule is, as we know:

"Do unto others as we would like others to do unto you."

or something like that. I got to thinking about that and it dawned on me that the phrase is wrong. What if I am a sadomasochist? (I'm not, but just for pretend) Did Jesus then intend that I should be able to beat up on others since that is what I would like them to do to me? I think not.

I believe that phrase should be:

"Do unto others as they would like to be treated."

Don't you think we should be focusing on "the other" in this scenario, considering we are contemplating doing something unto them?

Perhaps the Golden Rule is really not all that Golden after all.

I am going to call the above the Platinum Rule.

Love to all (which is really the Diamond Rule don't you think)!


PS, Barbara thinks I am wierd. Does that mean I can call her wierd? Just wondering.

No comments: