Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Being There

I went for my normal 4 mile walk this morning and, as I ordinarily do, greeted everyone I met. After all, they are my neighbors. One man, who was walking his 9-year old to school, looked particularly melancholy, yet when I said, "Hello", he brightened up and returned the greeting in as cheerful a tone as possible. I asked, "How are you doing?"
Well, as it turns out, not so well. His car is dead. So I drove him to pick up his paycheck from Old Country Buffet, took him to Walmart to cash it, to Autozone to buy a battery, then to my house to get tools, and then to his car parked at a friends house in Pagedale, where we replaced the battery. The car still did not start.
Along the way he told me his story about his strained relationship with the mother of his 3 children, a relationship he is trying hard to mend. I provided some guidance that I hope helps. He talked about his financial troubles, and I again helped as much as I can. On a positive note, he told me about his education and dreams.
My new friend has less than $250 to his name. He asked me to drop him at AutoWorld who will tow his car and tell him what's wrong. Not sure what he will do after that.
But also along the way, we looked up jobs that pay very well in the field in which he is trained. He told me he would spend today applying for them. I believe in him. I think by the end of our morning together, he believes in himself as well.
I hope that today is the day he takes charge of his life, gets the job he has worked so hard for, finds peace with the woman he loves, stability for his family and love and peace in his life. I hope to continue to help my new friend achieve those objectives.
We all have barriers and obstacles in life. Generally we have created them for ourselves. Often it is because we believe we are trapped, but are not. We believe we are not loved, but we are. We believe there is no way out, but there are many.
We just have to take charge of our lives, follow the voice of the universe (or God, or whoever) that guides us every moment of every day and have faith enough to follow that voice to our dreams.
I hear many pleas for help. Think positively and take charge of your life. Listen to your soul. It is always right. No shoulds. Do what you know in your heart is the right thing to do. I am glad I did that this morning.
Enjoy life.

No comments: